💛 A quick favor, if you've got a second.
We're really happy that you chose to read one of our stories and sincerely hope you'll stick around to read more. We took our paywall down — for now — but that won't last forever, and when the gate goes back up, we'd love for you to already be on the inside.
It's free. So please enter your email here and don't forget to like and follow us on all of your favorite Social Media platforms!

New South Wales will begin accepting firearms under a sweeping buyback program starting November 2, marking the first phase of Australia’s response to a December attack that claimed 15 lives at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and state Premier Chris Minns announced the initiative on Sunday, positioning it as a critical step toward preventing similar violence in the country.
Gun owners who surrender eligible firearms during the initial stage will receive fixed compensation between $450 and $1,000 per weapon, depending on its classification. A subsequent phase will establish a valuation process for higher-value firearms, with compensation capped at $10,000 per gun. Officials estimate that approximately 274,000 registered firearms—roughly 24 percent of New South Wales’ total—will be affected by the new ownership restrictions.
The buyback program follows federal gun-control legislation adopted in January and state-level restrictions enacted in December in response to the December 14 attack. The incident has become the nation’s most significant firearms buyback effort since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania, where a gunman killed 35 people. Australia’s government reported a record 4.1 million firearms in circulation nationwide last year, with over 1.1 million in New South Wales alone.
The two alleged attackers—identified as 50-year-old Sajid Akram and his 24-year-old son Naveed Akram—obtained their weapons legally through existing loopholes, authorities said. Sajid Akram was killed by police at the scene, while Naveed Akram faces 59 charges, including 15 counts of murder and committing a terrorist act. Police believe the father and son were inspired by extremist ideology.
Albanese emphasized that the initiative reflects longstanding Australian commitment to responsible firearms policy. “We must do everything we can to make sure the antisemitic terrorist attack in Bondi doesn’t happen again,” he said, adding that meaningful nationwide reform remained essential. Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke noted that recent legislation strengthening hate speech and hate crimes laws represented the country’s most comprehensive approach to combating extremism.
More Stories
Cape May Enacts Teen Curfews to Combat Beach Disorder and Underage Drinking
New York City Council Approves Permanent Outdoor Dining Framework
Mediterranean Luxury Yacht Valued at $9.1 Million Sinks Days After Owner Takes Delivery